Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Christmas Day in South Florida

   The past couple years we have really struggled with Christmas. Financially we were stretched to the limit and then some. Thank God for family and friends who have blessed us more then they even know but there was a guilt that I couldn't shake.
   This year Jacob and I broke free of the typical Christmas traditions of gift giving and I have to say, it was the best Christmas I think I've ever had. Stress free and full of memories.
  ( Let me stop and say this first before anyone thinks I'm picking on gifts. I love giving and receiving them, I think gifts are good and I think they are a symbol of God giving the greatest gift of all.)
  We got up around 5, stopped to get some hot chocolate at 7-11 and drove out to the beach to watch the sun rise. We got there just as the sun was peeking above the horizon, the sky was purple, blue and still dark with streaks of gold and orange. The kids ran to mess up the smoothed out sand after every pass of the tractor. Some of them even made sand angles. The weather was perfect. Cool with a warm breeze. 
   We stayed for about an hour or so then left with only one thing on our minds... DOUGHNUTS!!! We ordered our favorites and each one of us devoured one before we left then finished them at home.
   When we did get home the kids had stockings with little goodies in them and a gift each. Simple gifts, a book, a game, tea cups that we given to me that I gave as a gift and a book, stuffed mouse and mug combo for the little one. We gave a deck of cards and Uno cards as a family gift and after eating real food the kids and daddy played games while mommy took a nap!!
   Later on in the evening we went to our friends' house for dinner. It was the perfect end to a perfect day.
   Now, over a month later and the kids are enjoying their gifts. Malachi reads his book, Zion will read it when he's done. Zion plays his game with his siblings. Paris sets up a tea party often that everyone can enjoy and Jakey snuggles his mouse while I read his book to him, almost daily. He now has the book memorized.