Thursday, November 3, 2011

Making this place our own.

   I have been living in a small apartment for almost 2 1/2 years. I really don't mind living here, it's just small for a family of 6. No garage, no linen closet, small kitchen... and so on. I have talked myself out of buying things to decorate this place because I didn't want to really make it our home. I would think "If I save this money then I could use it for a down payment on a new place." No pictures on the wall, no real personal touches. Beige walls, beige carpet, beige blinds and curtains and brown furniture. Everything is blah. Boring. Cramped.
   After looking at houses on line and figuring out how much we would need for a down payment I realized that we are going to be in this apartment longer then expected. I went through the stages; denial, depression... then finally acceptance.
   There are things I can't control. Jacob needs an office, music equipment space, kids need homeschool space. We need craft space (yes, that is a need) and storage for linens and things :o) There are things I can control. I started with the biggest thing in need of a home in our apartment; Jacob's drums. I looked up at all the bare walls and thought that we could hang shelves and store the drums over the living room chairs.




   Well, putting up that shelf inspired me to look all around the apartment for wall storage solutions elsewhere. I ended up hanging shelves over my bedroom door, over the bathroom door, over my bed and I hung 4 shelves in the dining room. I'm also going to hang a shelf over my sewing storage area. Right now it looks like a pile that's going to fall over soon. (Thank you, Beth, for organizing that area for me :o)
No, that is not where Jacob's guitar case is going. This space is for bed linens.



I think this is going to be a place for Jacob's hats. He has a million!

Oh, I should point out that this was originally Jacob's idea, I just didn't want to put holes in the walls if we weren't going to stay.

No comments: