Monday, September 2, 2013

The Side I Try To Hide

   Sometimes my thoughts get dark and ugly and I think I will never feel joy again. Maybe it lingers from the depression I suffered years ago, I don't know. I have been gloomy for a couple days now.
   I blame God, I blame Hubby and then I turn on myself. The arguments I have inside my head are like venom. I keep it bottled and it's like poison pulsating through my veins. The thoughts, the anger, the loathing.  I hate being around people when I'm like this, I feel like it's radiating through my skin and contaminating the air around me.
   So, what do I do about it?
   Well, when I was younger, about 12 years ago, the thoughts weighed so heavily in my mind that I would just lie in bed for hours at a time. It physically hurt to move, even to raise an arm. My muscles would ache at the smallest movement. I went to the doctor and he gave me meds. I went back a couple months later and told him I felt worse, he gave me more medicine. I was on medication for 4 years, the last 2 I think I was on auto pilot because I don't remember much. The older kids ask me to tell them fond memories of their childhood and I can't remember those 2 years.
   One day I woke up and realized I had not taken the medication for a few days. I was dizzy, sick and could think clearly for the first time in a really long time. Jacob leaned over to give me a kiss before leaving for work and I told him I didn't want to take it anymore. I slowly started recovering. I started thinking maybe the world didn't revolve around me. Maybe there was another life to live that didn't involve me having depression. Me not always thinking about... me.
   Now what I do is I remind myself how bad it was and I'm not that person anymore. I am more secure and I  know I can tell The Lord anything and everything, even that I'm angry with Him or disappointed. He's a big God, He can handle it. I remind myself that my basic needs are met and that everything else is "gravy".  I think about all the blessings in my life. I'm usually back to my cheery self in no time, though I might not go skipping down the sidewalk any time soon.It also helps to laugh. As much as I want to lock myself away I force myself around people, happy people, people who will make me laugh.
   Another thing, for me, is to stay away from anyone who will join me in my dark hell.

No comments: